Agenda for MA500 London, 13 February 2020
Discover what’s in store with our agenda for the upcoming conference at Hilton London Tower Bridge below.
- 10:30 – 10:40: Welcome – Ed Bedington, Editor of The Morning Advertiser
- 10:40 – 11:00: Scene Setter – Simon Wright, CEO and Founder of urban orchard cider specialists Hawkes gives an overview of the local scene, from Borough to the Bermondsey Beer Mile, and how the hospitality landscape has changed.
- 11:00 – 11:20: Missed Opportunities – Pubs need to take their coffee offer more seriously if they’re to steal a bigger bite of the coffee market. Gareth Davies of COFFEEWORKS will offer simple solutions to ensure all operators can up their game on their coffee offer.
- 11:20 – 11:40: The 21st Century Pub – The UK pub and bar scene is evolving and new operators are leading the charge. Co-founder of the hip new Bethnal venue Fugitive Motel, David Burgess will share his views on how they’re looking to modernise a British institution for the next generation of customers.
- 11:40 – 12:00: Coffee Break
- 12:00 – 12:20: Lessons Learnt – Three top operators, Mark Robson, Red Mist Leisure, Tim Foster, Yummy Pubs and Martin Wolstencroft, Arc Inspirations, share insight into their biggest mistakes, and how they recovered from them.
- 12:20 – 12:40: Table Workshop – Group discussion around operators biggest mistakes and the lessons they’ve learnt from them.
- 12:40 – 13:00: Conflict Crisis – All operators run the risk of situations igniting with difficult customers and the potential fallout is serious. We’ll take at look with CPL on simple tips and techniques that you can equip your staff with to stop a drama becoming a crisis.
- 13:00 – 14:00: Lunch
- 14:00 – 14:20: Rate Relief – Rates are a huge threat to the viability of the UK pub sector, so Robert Hayton, head of business rates at real estate adviser Altus Group, will provide some exclusive data insights as well as addressing the difficulties of fair maintainable trade valuations and how to check, challenge and appeal.
- 14:20 – 14:50: Ahead of the Curve – Rum Part 1 – Rum is tipped to be the next big spirit, and CGA give us an overview of what you need to know when it comes to consumer trends in the rum category to help you stay one step ahead.
- 14:50 – 15:10: Ahead of the Curve – Rum Part 2 – We’ve heard the theory, now we take a look at some of the practical steps you can take to ignite your rum sales, from signature serves to stocking the right range with leading experts from Bacardi.
- 15:10 – 15:30 The Green Vic – Sustainability is going to be key in 2020, and we hear from pub pioneer Randy Rampersad, the operators behind the sustainable pop-up pub The Green Vic with the aim to create the “world’s most ethical pub”, on how you can cut your footprint and ramp up your green and ethical credentials.
- 15:30: Study Tour